Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Should I Cry?

Should I cry or should I not! I have a serious problem with the perception that many of us have that we are not allowed to cry. Sometimes this perception originates with others, sometimes it comes from within. My husband has said many times that the one time he knew he was really in trouble was when he came to a place that he couldn't cry. I have to agree.

Where does this come from? We Americans are very good at teaching especially little boys that they are tough and shouldn't cry. Excuse me, but what a crock. We often cover up with jokes and laughter or other things we use to compensate.  We don't give people a chance to really express themselves and consequently to heal. If someone wants to talk or cry or "let it all out" they should have that opportunity without feeling recrimination of any kind.  It bothers me intensely that every time someone in Relief Society cries, they feel the need to apologize as if they had done something wrong.

Ken and I have tried to create a "safe harbor" at our home, a place where anyone who wants to come can come and if they need to talk, there is a listening ear that will not spread the "juicy gossip". We have had many of our children, grandchildren and friends and even a few "strangers" sit and tell us things that they don't feel comfortable talking with others about. Everyone needs a "safe harbor". It is a necessity of life. Everyone needs someone who accepts them "no matter what"!

We have had a pretty "intense" year to say the least.  I have done more than my share of crying.  I have been in hospital several times with two surgeries, we have lost Ken's neice, his sister, my aunt and very nearly lost our son-in-law.  Jen has had 3 miscarriages and we have moved her business twice.  She is now expecting a baby and I have shed happy tears for the good news.  There are times I feel like just crying out of nowhere and times, like the night our home was broken into that I have sobbed, out of control, because of the invasion of my last bastian of safety.  It is therapeutic for me and forgive me if you must, I am not going to quit anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment