Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Gift Mary Gave

Below is a picture of the last baby to be born in our family. His name is Aidan and his mother is our youngest daughter. We are soon to have another little miracle in our midst. We know this baby is a boy but we don't yet know his name. He will be Jour oldest son's first son (after 4 beautiful daughters). The whole process absolutely amazes me every time. Is it any wonder that I am in awe of a young girl who virtually gave herself up to give life to the Savior of the World. A few years ago I heard a song by Amy Grant and Chris Eaton. It touched me as no other Christmas song ever has. It is named 'Breath of Heaven/Mary's Song. The words are as follows.

I have traveled many moonless nights. Cold and weary with a babe inside and I wonder what I've done.
Holy Father you have come and chosen me now to carry your son.

I am waiting in a silent prayer. I am frightened by the load I bear, in a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone. Be with me now. Be with me now.

Breath of Heaven hold me together, be forever near me.
Breath of Heaven.
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness, pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy, Breath of Heaven.

Do you wonder as you watch my face if a wiser one should have had my place.
But I offer all I am, for the mercy of your plan.
Help me be strong, help me be, help me.

Breath of Heaven hold me together, be forever near me.
Breath of Heaven.
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness, pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy, Breath of Heaven.

I teach Tai Chi and I am often telling students that to let go of control is really to gain it. Mary had to turn herself entirely over to Heavenly Father and His wisdom and His plan. I find it difficult to let go of control over even the smallest things sometimes. it It is hard for me to imagine someone so humble as to allow her life to be given to someone else for the greater cause of mankind. However, in my years on this earth, I have learned that to give myself over to my Heavenly Father's plan makes things so much simpler. Even then, I often choose not to do so.

At this Christmas time, I would hope that we all, myself included, can come to a place where we let go of our selfish impulses even for a short time and remember the Gift that Mary gave, the gift of self, to bring about a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment