Sunday, December 13, 2009

To My Awesome Children

What's it like to have amazing kids? It's satisfying, joyous, full of moments of pride and tender tears.

I want my kids to know how much I appreciate all that each of them do to make my life the wonderful adventure it is.

Last night we had our usual annual Christmas party. It was probably the most satisfying party I have ever had in my home and there have been more than a few. I made chicken soup, two huge pots and it was all gone at the end. I made it because I did it a few years back for a party centered on what they would have eaten in the Saviors day. It was the most popular dinner I ever made so maybe it will become a tradition. Everyone was happy and seemed relaxed and enjoyed themselves including me. We centered our party on what a terrific father and grandfather and husband etc. Ken is. Each family did their part in a different way but each was beautiful. They all touched my heart with their insights from listening to Benson read his tribute to grandpa (of course I cried), to big, tough Kenny sobbing about grandpa, to the comments of the "in-laws" (a word those who know us know we dislike) on how accepted they feel. It was peaceful and satisfying and fulfilling. There is no way I can begin to express my joy at seeing those young people whose care has been entrusted to me.

Thank you Heather, Bill, Jason, Aretta, Jenny, Tim, Micah and Sarah for being the people you are, the amazing, loving, giving, tender-hearted, kind, compassionate, responsible people that are you. Thank you for taking care of your children, my grand children, in a way that makes me proud to be your mother. Thanks for making me want to be a better person and for keeping me humble when I observe all your accomplishments no matter when, where or how they occurred.
Thanks for letting me stand by and admire your courage in facing your demons and conquering those things that would hold others back. Thanks for your desire to help all those around you to become better and for accepting others no matter their limitations. You are every mother's dream. Oh yes, I know none of you are perfect and sometimes I am tempted to say, "What are they thinking!" Then I think about my parents thinking the same things about me and that puts it all into perspective.

I wouldn't trade one of you for anyone else in the world. There are no other children in the world that I would rather be mother to. You are my hopes, my dreams, my work and my glory all come to fruition in children worthy to be called sons and daughters of Heavenly Father. You are everything I hoped you would be and more. You are my life and my love. Having said that, "Say your prayers and get to work! There is no time to rest. There is still much work for you to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment